29 January 2021
Opportunities abound for Indonesia’s online gaming market
At a mere 15% market penetration, the mobile-based online gaming market in Indonesia is already worth US$672 million, a 20% increase over the last two years. With a population size of 268 million and increasingly cheap mobile devices to play games with, opportunities abound in Indonesia’s online game market.
According to the Indonesian Game Association, revenue from online gaming has increased by 20% over the last two years, achieving a record high revenue of US$672 million. The Global Games Market Report ranked the Indonesian online game market at 17th in the world.
A survey conducted by Spire Research and Consulting found that 63% of gamers are fans of Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA) games and First-Person Shooter (FPS) games. The other 37% chose Role Playing Games and Adventure genre games. Spire Indonesia finds that these preferences are influenced by age, community and the gamer’s experience level.
The Indonesian Game Association, however, acknowledges that the online gaming industry in Indonesia remains relatively small compared to other countries. Some reasons for this include the slow internet connection speed, the lack of government regulation for online gaming, and local game developers choosing to target foreign markets instead of domestic ones.
With e-sport fast becoming the newest sport in town, the National Sports Committee of Indonesia (KONI) is eager to support the development of national e-sports teams and the online gaming market in Indonesia.
Click here to read the article on Techno Business.
For media enquiries, please contact:
Manager, Group Marketing Communications
Spire Research and Consulting
Phone: (65) 6838 5355